Whip Poor Will Lodge (1946 - 2013)
Named after a logging company in in 1880, Dollars is the last lake on the Pikerel River system before it spills into Georgian Bay. Dollars Lake was named after John and Robert Dollar, early logging operators in the area. It also has an Indian name Kawigamog Lake, but Dollars Lake is the name given it by public usage. Logging opened this part of the near north but declined rapidly in the 1920's when the white pine was gone. Many of the lumber camps were converted to Tourist Lodges. Whip Poor Will Lodge was built and named in 1918 by Mr. Kirton who owned the island from 1918 to 1946. The MacDonald family ran the Lodge from 1946 to 1991 then they sold to the Jameyson Family who ran it from 1992 to 2008. It was then sold to the Purcell Brothers who ran it for the next 5 years. In 2013 the island was sold again by Power of Sale at which time the Terreberry Family purchased it and renamed it Dollars Lake Island Resort. Please enjoy the old photo's that have been donated by former Whip Poor Will guests.